Fine lines and wrinkles develop during the aging process around the eyes and mouth, but sun or other skin damages can have the same effect. For men and women who wish to restore their youthful look wrinkle removal is a valid option. Although it doesn't have the same long-lasting effects as most plastic surgeries, like facelifts for example, the procedure has many benefits and involves minimal risks.
How do Wrinkles Appear?
There are several factors that may contribute to the emergence of skin wrinkles, some of them avoidable, while others part of a natural process. The most common reasons are the followings:
- the skin is becoming thin and dry due to the aging process
- genetic predisposition
- the sun affects the skin’s ability to stretch
- smoking constricts the blood vessels and lowers the amount of oxygen the skin receives
- chemicals, heat, wind, and other environmental factors also contribute to the development of wrinkles
The true is that men and women alike get wrinkles over time. Although the severity of wrinkles varies, loss of skin vitality causes it to be less able to repair damage and retain critical moisture.
Classic Wrinkle Removal Techniques
There are many low-risk procedures available for wrinkle removal. The following techniques are popular treatments to combat the normal aging process, as well as sun and other skin damages:
- Autologous fat implant: during the procedure the patient's own fat supply is used to fill out areas of the face and body that have experienced scarring, post-traumatic defects, or fat loss due to aging
- Hylaform: the substance is an alternative for collagen: it has to be regularly injected under the surface of the skin
- Restylane: is an injectable cosmetic treatment, based on hyaluronic acid with very little chance of developing an allergic reaction
Laser Wrinkle Treatments
A series of laser wrinkle treatments have been recently approved by the FDA. The procedures are enjoying a growing popularity as they are relatively safe and successful and can be repeated several times. The improvements are gradual but successful in many cases. However the results are not permanent but can last for at least six months. There are a few types of wrinkle laser treatments currently available. They include:
- Carbon dioxide lasers: they improve wrinkles by fifty to ninety percent, but causes long term swelling and redness of the skin
- Erbium:YAG laser: the procedure works by heating the tissues under the skin and triggering the body’s wound healing process. The procedure is quite efficient and causes less damage to the skin
- NLite laser: the procedure stimulates the body's own production of collagen using a yellow laser. It is relatively painless, does not require anesthesia, and demands very little recovery time
Botox Injections for Wrinkles
In just a few years, Botox injections for wrinkles have become the most frequently performed cosmetic surgery procedure in the United States. Although not as efficient as facelifts, Botox injections have several advantages:
- they are minimally invasive procedures
- have instantly visible results within a few days
- do not require downtime or anesthesia and incisions
However there are certain risks patients should pay attention too. As the number of demands for plastic surgery procedures increases, so does the number of centers performing them. The rapid growth of medical spa centers across the country allowed a greater number of people the ability to more easily undergo cosmetic procedures. Unfortunately many of the individuals performing such procedures are not board-certified doctors. Because of the risks of serious complications, patients are highly cautioned against treatments like Botox injections for wrinkles or laser hair removal and other cosmetic procedures performed by doctors not specially trained.
Wrinkle Reduction and Face Lifts
People wishing to have a more permanent and drastic wrinkle reduction procedure will sometimes choose facelift surgery. Facelift surgery is the fifth most performed plastic surgery procedure in the United States. As less invasive surgical techniques are now available, facelifts for wrinkle reduction can be performed with just local anesthesia, claiming less bruising, swelling and unpleasant effects of anesthesia.
Cosmetic plastic surgery has opened a wide range of possibilities to enhance and alter physical appearance. The growing acceptance of cosmetic surgery has allowed people of all types the ability to benefit from what there is to offer. It is important to remember that while some patients can experience more drastic results than others, all patients must be realistic about what can be achieved from cosmetic plastic surgery and fully understand there are very serious risks that must be considered.